Friday, February 24, 2012

Not The Usual Meatloaf



The Usual Meatloaf:

1 pound ground beef
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 slices bread, torn up
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

Today I didn't have any bread and am running low on milk.  The above recipe is how my mom always made meatloaf, and I have done it the same way for over 30 years (Yikes!  Have I been out of my parent's house that long?!).  Today I used what we had on hand and we actually liked it.  The ingredients below are approximate as I didn't measure.

1 pound ground beef
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 large handfuls of hint-of-salt crackers
2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Chop onion and put in large bowl.

2.  Add ground beef, 2 eggs, whipping cream, salt and pepper to taste.

3.  Crumble 2 large handfuls of crackers into bowl.

4.  Thoroughly mix together with hands.

5.  Put in lightly greased loaf baking dish (I used a small amount of lard).

6.  Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.

I have only put ketchup on my meatloaf one time when I actually used a recipe that called for it.  Normally I just throw together The Usual Mealoaf recipe.  Along with the mealoaf we had a baked potato and a cauliflower/broccoli frozen vegetable mix to which I topped with some grated cheddar cheese when serving.  

Every time I make meatloaf I remember when I was in the hospital after I just had Kyle.  A wonderful lady from our church named Lucinda came over everyday and took care of the rest of my kids for the 5 days I was in the hospital (back when they made you stay that long after having a c-section.  Ancient days ago, you know).  Bonnie, who was 7 at the time, was watching Lucinda make meatloaf.  Lucinda took out one of the baking dishes and Bonnie looked at her in shock.  "That is not the dish my mom uses to bake meatloaf in" she informed Lucinda seriously.  Boy, are we creatures of habit from the time we are very young!  And I am sorry, Bonnie, I didn't bake the meatloaf today in my usual meatloaf pan either. 

No comments: